Thursday, December 20, 2007
Quick and Easy Sweet and Sour Chicken
This recipe, which serves four, takes about 20 minutes to prepare and close to 15 minutes to cook.
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (cubed)
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons of cornstarch
Sweet and Sour Sauce Ingredients
1 onion (sliced)
1 small red pepper (cut into 1-inch pieces)
1 small orange pepper (cut into 1-inch pieces)
1 can (one pound) of pineapple cubes in natural juice
1 tablespoon of cornstarch
2 tablespoons of tomato ketchup
2 tablespoons of light soy sauce
1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar
Fresh cilantro leaves (for garnish)
Salt and ground black pepper
1) Mix together the egg yolks, (one tablespoon of water), the cornstarch, and some salt and pepper.
2) Heat two inches of oil in a wok or deep frying pan.
3) Toss the chicken in the cornstarch mixture and deep-fry the meat in batches of five minutes (or until the chicken becomes crisp and golden). Drain on paper towels.
4) Empty the oil from the wok, leaving behind a thin coating in the pan.
5) Stir-fry the onion and peppers over high heat for three minutes.
6) Drain the pineapple cubes (reserving the juice), add to the pan, and cook for a minute or so.
7) Mix together the cornstarch and a little bit of the pineapple juice in order to form a paste.
8) Stir in the remaining juice, the ketchup, soy sauce, vinegar, and ½ cup of water.
9) After pouring the mixture into the pan, bring to a boil, making sure to stir until the mixture becomes thick.
10) Stir in the chicken pieces into the pan and let simmer for five minutes until cooked through.
11) Check on the seasonings, followed by dividing them between bowls. Spread a bit of cilantro on top.