Monday, October 15, 2007

The Best Meatloaf

I have fallen in love with meat loaf...sounds strange I know, b/c I hated it as a kid. Too greasy and fell apart. That was because it wasn't cooked correctly. I make my meat loaf in my crock pot and it's just the right texture and the grease falls to the bottom b/c I make a nice little 'bed' of aluminum foil for it to sit on and also make a 'lifter' from foil to easily remove the meat loaf for cutting. Takes just about 5 minutes to mix the ingredients in a bowl and plop into the crock pot. I made it yesterday at the last minute since I've had a nasty cold for a few days and didn't feel like cooking anything. I set it on High and left it for 3.5 hours and it was perfect. I used 2 lbs of ground beef since the big kids were all here to eat. The texture is so good with this recipe it makes great sandwiches the next day for hubby to take for lunch...if he remembers to get it out of the fridge.

My Favorite Crock Pot Meat Loaf Recipe

2 pounds ground beef
1/4 cup ketchup
2 eggs
1 cup breadcrumbs or crushed crackers
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 small onion (diced)

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Form into a meatloaf shape that will fit into your crock pot. Make a nice little crumbled up foil bed to put on the bottom of your crock pot to keep the grease off the meat. Also, cut a strip of foil and place under the meatloaf in crock pot. Cut it long enough to cover the bottom and sides of meatloaf. Place meat loaf in crock pot and top with an additional 2 tablespoons ketchup. Cover and cook on low for approximately 8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours.

No comments: